Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars & Money Saving Recipe Shopping

I found a wonderful recipe via Pinterest the other day that I was stoked to try.  It was for five-ingredient peanut butter granola bars.  I am trying to eat healthier, less processed foods now, but I've been finding it hard to satisfy my sweet tooth without some chocolate candy or packaged cookies.  Enter this recipe.  Here is my take on the homemade granola bars:

4 C. Rolled Oats
2 TBPS Chia Seeds (optional, but a VERY healthy add-in)
1/2 C. Unsalted Peanuts, chopped
3/4 C. Peanut Butter, melted
1/2 C. Honey

Optional Add-Ins I Used
Mini Chocolate Chips
Flaked Coconut
Diced Dried Plums (Plum Amazins)

In a large bowl, combine oats, Chia seeds, and peanuts. Add honey and mix to combine. Add melted peanut butter and mix until moistened. Fold any add-ins into the mixture. If the mixture is still too dry, add more peanut butter or honey a little at a time until moistened.

Press into a 9x13 inch pan.  Chill in refrigerator for an hour.  Cut into bars and enjoy!

If you so choose, you can also bake these.  I did not bake mine, as I was afraid it would turn out more crunchy instead of chewy, but I may try baking it next time, just to see.  If you do decide to bake them, preheat your oven to 350 degrees prior to mixing the ingredients, and grease your baking pan!  Bake for 20-25 minutes.



This was my first attempt at these, and they don't stay into bars too well, but they are AMAZINGLY delicious!  And I don't feel guilty about eating them since they are fairly healthy.  :) 

As a shopping tip, I'd like to share that I purchased most of my ingredients from Whole Foods.  They have containers that you can 'scoop your own' nuts, grains, etc., and pay by the pound.  In general, I think that is an expensive way to buy food, however, it's great for buying ingredients for a recipe that you don't normally have on hand, and would otherwise not be using.  I bought just enough oats, peanuts, and chia seeds to make this recipe.  I actually ended up with close to 6 cups of oats for $2.59, 1/2 cup of raw peanuts for $0.64, and 1/2 cup of Chia seeds for $0.70!  (The rest of the ingredients I had at home).  It would've cost me a lot more to buy a full size can of oats and peanuts alone.  Just something to consider next time you prepare to make a recipe!  Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute blog you have! This recipe sounds like it is right up my alley! I might just have to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete