Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Pockets (Needs Improvement)

Tonight I tried out a recipe I found on Pinterest, adapted from Jenna's Journey's recipe.  My family eats chicken at least once a week so we're always looking for new recipes to keep things exciting!  These looked good: chicken, cheese, cream cheese, bread... what's not to like?  

Cheesy Chicken Pockets (My Version)

Servings: 2

2 [thin] boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 block of lowfat (or fat free) cream cheese
1/2 C. shredded cheese (whatever flavor you have on hand)
2 TBPS bacon bits (optional)
1 can of Pillsbury seamless dough sheets
1 TBPS butter or margarine (melted)(optional)
Breadcrumbs for topping (optional)


Boil chicken until cooked and tender.  Meanwhile, set out block of cream cheese to soften.  Preheat oven to 350.  Once chicken is cooked, shred with a fork.  Mix together shredded chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and bacon bits.  Separate dough sheets into two and spoon mixture onto one end.  Cover and seal the dough sheets.  Brush the tops with melted butter and top with a sprinkle of breadcrumbs (optional).  Bake for 17-20 minutes until lightly browned and crispy.  

Here was the result:


How it could be improved:

- WOW these were big!  ...each one was P'Zone sized, for all of you who are familiar with those.  Next time I would cut the seamless dough sheets and make four smaller ones instead of theses two large ones.  I had leftover chicken mixture which wouldn't fit in these two.

- Half a block of cream cheese was WAY too much for the amount of chicken I used.  On the original recipe where I got the idea from, she used an entire block of cream cheese, but she used bigger chicken breasts, so I cut the amount in mine in half for my first attempt.  Next time I would use 1/4 of a block and see how that turns out.  

- This may sound weird, but I didn't really like the boiled chicken 'taste'.  Next time I will cook the chicken in the crockpot to get it prepped for shredding.  

This has the potential to be a really great dish!  Not the healthiest by any means... although you could certainly tweak it to make it better for you, if you want.  I am disappointed that my first recipe post on here wasn't a total success, but what can you do?  If I try the recipe again, I will make adjust as I described above, and I am optimistic I'd enjoy it much better.  Feel free to comment and leave your suggestions for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment